European-spec wheel nut retainer ring that fits onto a set of wheel nuts. Safewheel™ safeguards other road users from protruding vehicle wheel nuts, protects from corrosion, is visually professional & provides a retaining function to reduce the likelihood of wheel nuts loosening & wheel detachment.
The Safewheel™ wheel nut retainer (EU-spec wheel PCD) is a recent addition to the extensive Checkpoint Safety range of wheel nut safety products which comprises separate protective nut caps specially moulded together to form a ring that sits onto a set of wheel nuts on a commercial vehicle to help to protect and retain them.
The Safewheel™ is a wheel nut safety solution that not only incorporates safety functions to improve the integrity of the vehicle, but also provides protection to other road users, such as cyclists and pedestrians, from protruding wheel nuts. The product is durable, reusable, simple to use and looks highly professional on fleet vehicles. The product is offered in a range of sizes to cover a wide scope of applications throughout the commercial vehicle sector.
The primary functions of Safewheel™ are to:
- Retain wheel nuts within the ring structure to lower the likelihood of them loosening and greatly reduce the likelihood of wheel nuts backing away completely from the wheel hub
- Protect wheel nuts from weathering, corrosion and road damage through covering each wheel nut with a cap
- Reduce the ingress of dirt and extraneous matter into the thread of the wheel nut and stud
- Protect individuals that come within close proximity of the vehicle by covering the wheel nuts
- Provide a clear commitment to roadworthiness and professionalism to other road users, customers, health and safety, road and transportation associations such as DfT, HMRC Customs and Excise, VOSA, HSE, FTA and RHA
The primary benefits of fitting Safewheel™ are:
- Improved safety of structurally critical wheel nut fixings on vehicle wheels
- To help to reducte maintenance time and costs
- To improve professionalism, roadworthiness and safety of company image and reputation
- To provide a cost effective solution to improving wheel nut security
- Product can be re-used many times
Safewheel™ is designed to be fitted on wheels without trims/step rings. Where a trim/step ring is fitted to the wheel, Dustite LR® indicators must be used. Safewheel™ is fitted onto wheel nuts once the nuts have been tightened to the manufacturers recommendations using a suitable torque wrench. The Safewheel™ should not be used as a direct replacement for a sound, safe vehicle wheel maintenance schedule, should be fitted in accordance with the product guidelines (available from the downloads tab) and used in combination with a robust wheel safety system of checks.
Manufactured in a robust but lightweight polymer, the material blend produces a product with the correct stiffness and elongation for this application and the material has a vast working temperature range of -40°C to +120°C whilst being UV stable, with a high resistance to salts, grease and other roadside chemicals.